Main courses are a no brainer during the holidays – turkey, ham, roast beef, chicken, or maybe even fish. But what to do when it comes to deciding on sides? It’s a big debate in our house every year. (Don’t believe me? Check out the debacle we had about Thanksgiving sides). Most of my family members would be content with calorie-laden favorites such as mac n cheese, sausage stuffing and marshmallow-topped sweet potatoes. But, I like to add a few healthy options to the mix. Hello, salad anyone?
So this year, I’m taking a recipe from the folks at Country Crock for Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Cauliflower. I like the idea of having the same creaminess and flavor of good old-fashioned potatoes, yet mixing in cauliflower for an added veggie punch. All in all you use less potatoes, which means less carbs and calories. Here’s the recipe – super simple to follow and takes less than 30 minutes:
- 2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 3 Tbsp. Country Crock® Spread
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Cover potatoes, cauliflower and garlic with water in 3-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered until vegetables are very tender, about 15 minutes; drain.
- Return vegetables to saucepan; mash. Stir in remaining ingredients.
One lucky Savvy Sassy Mom reader will win a Country Crock Holiday Veggie Kit:
- 1 coupon for a free tub any flavor Country Crock and a veggie preparation tip sheet
- Four Country Crock holiday recipe cards for Holiday Broccoli Saute, Baked Spiced Squash, Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Cauliflower, and Easy Creamed Corn.
- William Sonoma Vegetable Chop and Measure
- Calphalon Contemporary Nonstick Bronze 12″ Frying Pan.
Disclosure: I received compensation in the form of a Holiday Veggie Kit from Country Crock for this article, but all the opinions are my own!
Share this Post