Sometimes I’m doing so many things at once I feel like my head is actually spinning. I get dizzy and want to fall over. Sometimes I’m doing them so FAST that I get this feeling of vertigo and start to feel like I want to puke. I am not sure if this is a female thing, a mom thing, or perhaps a combination of both. I’ve always been proud of how many things I can get accomplished in a limited amount of time. Being efficient has always been a trait that got me compliments and admiration.
I gotta tell ya, since I became a mom it feels more like an affliction rather that an attribute. Most people would hold their head up high and be a “proud” multitasker, it even has a positive ring to it. I’ve even seen people listing it on their Resume as a “good” trait! However when you find yourself getting almost sick from the activity of multi-tasking then you’ll be asking yourself… is this a gift or a disease?
Here are some of the symptoms:
1) You have a habit of doing at least three things at once while actually thinking about the OTHER 3 things that you’re going to be doing when you get these three things done!
2) While multitasking, you’ve actually physically fallen over, slipped or tripped on something and required a first-aid kit or had to seek medical attention.
3) Random Onset Forgetfulness. For example: You put something in the microwave to cook. Start it and then leave it there. All day. Never to be eaten, and only to be discovered when you go back to the microwave to do it again.
4) You successfully carry the following: 1 laundry basket (full), a cup of coffee and your laptop up a flight of stairs… while on the phone.
5) You have broken, damaged, or spilled something while managing multiple tasks only to step over the carnage and carry on with your other business.
6) When you go to the gym you: exercise, watch the TV, listen to the music and manage to relax at the same time.
7) You consider the following: Making breakfast for the kids, coffee for you, unloading the dishwasher, checking your e-mail, paying your bills and Twittering… ONE morning task.
8) All of the following can happen simultaneously: Making play-doh animals with the kids, cleaning out an entire closet, making lunch and folding laundry. In seperate rooms.
I think many of you can relate to the above list of symptoms and I may even have you worried. If you are not ready to admit you have this problem , it’s ok. I’ll be here for you when you come to the realization that since you have children…it’s likely you have this disorder. From what I can see, there is no cure. But here are some tips to keep yourself just a little more sane:
Cut back on Coffee! Keep it to less than a pot. Sit DOWN to eat, enjoy your meal, think of it as “time away from the kids” Also, keep hydrated it’ll make you feel better and you’ll have to use the bathroom more often, or as I like to call it, “the REST room” And of course ask for some help from time to time!
You are NOT alone, Go to the comments section and tell me your funniest or scariest Multitasking Syndrome story!
Share this Post