Looks we still love and totally work for Spring 2014
Forget the adage that you can only wear trends the first time around. In fact, we are sending you on a fashion flashback! Jump in the DeLorean and visit your elementary school, teen and college years to again rock these styles that work for Spring 2014. Call it a mixtape of retro style coolness that still rocks today.
Admit it: You still think Felicity Porter is the epitome of casual cool, and her backpack was the perfect combo of preppy and post-grunge. Swap out your usual purse or diaper bag for a leather or vegan pleather knapsack for fashion/function/Felicity style. In fact, leather backpacks were all the rage on the Spring 2014 runways!
1. The Leather Satchel Company Backpack at ASOS
2. Forever Cool Faux Leather Backpack at Forever 21
3. Transport Rucksack at Madewell
4. Hayden-Harnett Voyager Backpack
Brat Pack oxford shirt
Channel your inner Brat Pack teen and pick up a cool-again oxford button down. Banded and button-down collars look fresh when paired with crisp, modern tailored bottoms (and when you leave off the ropes of pearls and scrunchies.)
1. Collarless Popover Oxford at J. Crew
2. Oxford Shirt at Old Navy
3. Pink Fitted Oxford Shirt at Charles Tyrwhitt
4. Striped Oxford at Ralph Lauren
90210 Dark floral dresses
Whether you were Team Brenda or Kelly, you know that both gals (and even dark horses Donna Martin and Andrea Zuckerman) rocked an early ’90s dark floral babydoll like none other. To keep the look current, look for floral dresses with a fitted waist and lengths at or above the knee (“granny dress” bagginess and drooping hemlines do figures no favors.) Pair with a nude sandal instead of the Docs you would have worn back in the day. Your personal Dylan McKay will love.
1. Petal Palette Tunic Dress at Anthropologie
2. Retro Floral Fit and Flare Dress at Forever 21
3. Floral Print Dress at Zara
4. Floral Pintuck Skater Dress at ASOS
Denise Huxtable hats
We could wax for hours on the creative coolness of Lisa Bonet as Denise Huxtable on The Cosby Show. Most of the ensembles she wore would still look great today and have come full-circle in fashion. Statement necklaces with ethnic flair? Wearing! Oversized yet cropped sweaters? Check! Scarves twisted around the head or neck? Yup! But Denise is most remembered for the way she could work a hat, and wide-brimmed fedora styles are all the rage for spring. Pair with wild hair, and DVR The Cosby Show and A Different World reruns for endless style inspo.
1. Felt Fedora at Urban Outfitters
2. TopShop Fedora at Nordstrom
3. Leather-Trimmed Rancher at Anthropologie
4. Wide Brimmed Hat Zara
Who is YOUR fashion flashback style icon?
Share this Post