Fitness trackers can help you achieve your goals
Making a new year’s resolution to eat healthier or get more exercise can be about taking baby steps toward a healthier lifestyle. The tiny pieces of technology can really take your fitness goals to the next level — and there are even stylish options available. Fitness trackers keep track of all of your baby steps — and they let you know when you need to do a little extra work to meet your daily goals. Lauren Weber, from Mrs. Weber’s Neighborhood, confesses to using her FitBit for added motivation, even if it means unexpected activity.
An expert’s take on keeping those pesky resolutions
According to fitness expert and nutrition specialist Joey Thurman, founder of The Lifestyle Renovation, people tend to think too narrowly about the New Year’s resolutions, and that can cost them in the long run. Joey talks about how to stay on track with your New Year’s Resolutions.
- Set the right goal: This might seem intuitive, but it’s a critical first step. “This is about setting realistic goals that address the problems you want to fix most,” says Joey. “So, if you want to eat healthy, start by resolving to substitute unhealthy desserts for fruit. That way, you’re making smaller changes that will have a bigger impact.”
- Lose the negativity: Although you may have tried and failed in the past, this is now, and you can do it. “When people think about failure, they set themselves up for failure,” says Thurman. Think positive thoughts about your resolutions each morning, and that positivity will stick with you all day long.
- Rid yourself of enablers: Everyone has that one friend that encourages them to eat unhealthy food or skip the gym. “Be up front with the enablers in your life,” suggests Joey. “Let them know your goals and ask them to be supportive or stop hanging out with them.”
- Stay accountable: Whether it’s working with a fitness coach or tracking progress on an app with friends, accountability is the key to success. “When my clients aren’t accountable to someone else, they often rationalize cheating on their resolutions, which is a very slippery slope.”
- Celebrate your successes: Setting goals only works if you celebrate your success. “Achieving milestones is something to be proud of and celebrate,” says Joey. “Plan how you want to celebrate and do so with vigor. Then, get back to work the next day.”
Fitness trackers are part of this year’s fitness trends
MyFitnessPal, a popular website and app that helps people track their nutrition and fitness goals and progress, released this fantastic info graphic about upcoming fitness trends. After uncovering some of the top fitness trends of 2014, the stat wizards at MyFitnessPal discovered the use of wearable fitness devices was up 78% during 2014. With that many people using fitness trackers, you’ll want to get on board with the greatest gadgets to track your activities, nutrition — and even sleep.
Three fitness trackers to get you moving
Garmin Vivosmart (Amazon, $170)
Why we love it:
- Fantastic smart notifications — The Vivosmart vibrates to let you know about emails, notifications, achieved goals, and even reminds you when it’s time to get moving again.
- Cross-device compatibility — Pairing the Vivosmart with a heart rate monitor or bike sensor can help you meet your personal fitness goals in data-driven, technical ways.
- A peek of color — The black band is sleek and simple, but the peek of color allows you to express just a bit of your own style.
Tom Tom Multi-Sport Cardio (Amazon, $300)
Why we love it:
- Multi-sport GPS — The Tom Tom is serious about its GPS capabilities. On land — running, cycling, walking — and in water, the Multi-Sport Cardio can track your movement and match it against your workout goals.
- Integrated heart rate monitor — One of the biggest pains about training with a heart rate monitor has been the necessary — but annoying — chest strap that provided the most effective readings. The heart rate monitor built into the Tom Tom is accurate, and built directly into the device, so you can stay within heart rate goals — and watch your calories burn away.
- Extra-large display — The display is easy to read at a glance, which is key for fitness enthusiasts who want to keep a specific pace during training.
Fitbit Flex™ (fitbit.com, $100)
Why we love it:
- An encouraging community — The Fitbit community grows daily, and everyone knows working out with friends can be more fun. Find your friends, cheer them on, and even set up friendly competitions if that helps motivate you to move.
- Improved sleep quality — The sleep tracker in the Fitbit Flex can track your sleep patterns, allowing you to see how much quality sleep you’re getting. Once you discover when you’re restless or waking, you can experiment with ways to improve your sleep.
- Tory Burch — Need we say more? Not only is the Flex available in a variety of gorgeous colors, you can slide your fitness tracker into a chic bracelet. The Tory Burch hinged bracelet disguises your fitness tracker in sleek metal, emblazoned with the iconic Tory Burch emblem, including on-trend rose gold (Tory Burch, $195).
Have you gotten on the fitness tracker trend yet?
Share this Post