The car is packed and you have all your Road Trip Must Have’s but now what the heck do you do to keep the sanity on the long journey? Here are some simple tips to keeping the peace and not losing your mind on the road.
1. Frequent stops – Map out some fun, unique or even wacky places to stop along the way. Think outside the rest stop. check out these Weird and Wonderful USA tourist attractions for some inspiration.
2. Surprises – Reward them for good behavior or not arguing by pulling out fun games and treats or make them earn them with a Travel Scavenger Hunt or another fun travel game.
3. Timing – Think about what time you are leaving and when you will get to certain destinations. You don’t want to get stuck in rush hour traffic with a kids are hungry or have to pee.
4. The Oh___! Bag – Have a small bag that is accessable for a a quick change of clothes, pants, diapers in case someone has an accident or spill. You don not want to find a new outfit by taking apart the perfectly packed trunk, cause you know those kids clothes will be on the bottom.
5. Essentials aka Electronics – Do not forget the DVD players, ipads, ipods, iphones, you know, all the digital babysitters we have all come to love. However, do not be afraid to limit the use of these devices or take them away for bad behavior.
6. The imaginary wall – This comes in handy when the kids start to get on your nerves. My husband likes to pretend to put up a wall between the front and backseat and he will not put it down until they are getting along or guess the magic word. This makes them laugh and distracts them from whatever they were fighting about.
7. Pack a mean cooler – Not only does this save money but it keeps snack and drinks very close by for immediate satisfaction. A cooler comes in handy in the hotel room too so you won’t have to try to run out for chocolate milk at 6am.
Oh and don’t forget to register for Allstate Roadside Assistance before you go! When traveling with the kids on such a long trip you definitely want to make sure you are covered in case of an emergency which is why this savvy new roadside service from Allstate is a must have – you don’t pay unless you use it.
Sign up for free right here, its really that easy!
Good HandsSM Roadside Assistance, is a new Allstate service that gives you free access to Allstate’s 24/7 Roadside Network should your car break down for any reason and you don’t have to be an Allstate policy holder There is no annual fees and in most cases it’s just $75 per tow and $50 per other service.I know there has been many trips where my husband and I haven’t paid attention to the gas tank and got pretty nervous we’d run out of gas, they even come and help with that!
Road Trip Giveaway! $50 Amazon gift card
1. Please leave a comment below by sharing your best piece of advice is for family road trips.
1 Extra Entry
2. Tweet “Just entered the Allstate #ghrgiftcardgiveaway via @savvysassymoms I could win a $50 Amazon Gift Card. Your turn!”
3. Share post to Facebook (through widget or copy and paste link) and comment that you shared it (1 extra entry)
2 Extra Entries:
4. Register for the program and comment that you registered (2 extra entries)
5. Download the mobile app and comment that you downloaded it (2 extra entries)
THIS CONTEST HAS ENDED
*Giveaway ends August 29th at 11:59 pm EST
*Giveaway open to Us Residents only
Disclosure: No purchase necessary to enter or win. Odds of winning are not increased by a purchase.
Savvy Sassy Moms is responsible for all aspects of the contest and the gift card is being donated by Allstate/Good Hands Roadside
Share this Post