From its unique taste to its rich heritage and long history of health benefits, the cranberry holds a plethora of secrets worth sharing. This year, Ocean Spray is revealing the secrets of the exceptional autumn fruit at its cranberry bog in New York City’s Rockefeller Center®. Measuring 1,500-square-feet, the bog contains 2,000 pounds of fresh, floating cranberries, which will be on display October 16 and 17. Inside the cranberry bog, multi-generational Ocean Spray cranberry growers will share secrets of the harvest – from how the bogs are flooded and picked to why cranberries float.
Cranberry juice has always been one of my favorites. Then after 21 and a little Sex and the City the Cosmopolitan became a great part of my life. Thanks to cranberry juice this iconic drink became part of what would be called my “liquid identity”. In just moments if you want the video below you can see famous mixologist Michelle Hunt talk about finding your liquid identity.
Here are some pretty interesting facts about cranberries:
- If you strung together all the cranberries produced in North America last year, they would stretch from Boston to Los Angeles more than 565 times.
- Cheryl Cook created the first Cosmopolitan, bringing the cranberry front and center as a versatile mixer.
- The key ingredient to making sure cranberry sauce gels is pectin. Cook the sauce for at least 10 minutes at a full boil to release it.
- Cranberries are rich in antioxidants and have more naturally occurring antioxidants per gram than other common fruit.
- You can taste the healthy goodness of the cranberry. PACs, or proanthocyanadins, are responsible for cranberry’s tart taste and give them a healthy edge.
- Eight ounces of cranberry juice cocktail, 1/2 cup of fresh cranberries and 1/4 cup of dried cranberries or cranberry sauce each provide the same urinary tract health benefits.
So come on all of you cranberry cocktail enthusiasts, if you’re eager to shake things up you are invited to find your perfect cocktail compliment online with Ocean Spray’s “Liquid Identity” app on Facebook. Individuals who used the app had the option to enter to win a $5,000 cash prize; the winner will be announced live at the bog Oct. 16. Not only that but…
at 1:00 PM EST/10:00 AM PST you can find your “Liquid identity” with cocktail masters Michelle Hunt and Laura Panter, of the Toronto-based Martini Club by watching here:
Live Video streaming by Ustream
Share this Post