If you are anything like us, you will be gathering with friends and family for Memorial Day. Not only do we gather to remember those who gave their lives serving in our military, but also to celebrate the wonderful freedoms of our country. Celebrating with friends and family usually means a crowd and we have learned that buffet-style eating is the best way to feed everyone easily. Creating simple, individual desserts is an easy way to share a yummy treat and make it easy to transport and to share among guests. Mini star pies are not only theme appropriate, but they are a crowd pleasing treat that will be sure to make you the star of the party!
Mini star pies
Prep time: 15 mins.
Cook time: 15 mins.
Yields: 16-20 servings, depending on the size of your cookie cutter
1 box refrigerated pie crusts (two pie crusts)
1/2 cup chopped strawberries
1/2 cup blueberries
6 Tbsp. sugar, divided
2 Tbsp. milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Stir together strawberries and 2 Tbsp. of sugar for pie filling. Repeat with blueberries.
3. Roll out one pie crust until smooth.
4. Using a star shaped cookie cutter, cut out as many shapes as possible. Re-roll scrap pieces, as needed, to get more stars.
5. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
6. Place stars on prepared pan.
7. Spoon pie filling onto the center of each star.
8. Repeat steps 3 and 4 with second pie crust.
9. Place star shape on top of each filled star and crimp edges with a fork.
10. Combine egg and milk to create an egg wash.
11. Brush egg wash on tops of each mini star pie and sprinkle with remaining sugar.
12. Bake 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
13. Allow to cool before removing from pan.
14. Store in airtight container until ready to serve.
What are your favorite treats for Memorial Day?
Share this Post