Celebrating Thanksgiving heroes
Last week we talked about La Brea Bakery‘s amazing campaign to celebrate the Thanksgiving heroes in our lives. La Brea Bakery encourages you to nominate your “Thanksgiving Hero”: people you know and love who regularly work on Thanksgiving serving others. La Brea Bakery will deliver fully catered meals to five finalists across the nation on Thanksgiving, so they can still enjoy a special meal, even at work.
Thanksgiving heroes put others’ needs before their own
Reverend Faith Fowler, the executive director of Cass Community Social Services embodies the spirit of the Thanksgiving hero — and tireless advocate. I met Fowler through my Listen to Your Mother Metro Detroit co-producer when we decided to work with CCSS as our charity partner for LTYM Metro Detroit 2015. She’s a powerful advocate for the people of Detroit — and a believer in the power of stories, a belief I share.
“I could give you statistic after statistic about the homeless or mental illness,” she told my co-producer. “But what will stick with you are the stories. You will remember the stories, and people aren’t threatened by stories.”
She’s a true Thanksgiving hero. Fowler has been a part of CCSS for over 20 years, and under her guidance, CCSS provides assistance and support to the people of Detroit in countless ways. Cass Community Social Services is a part of rebuilding Detroit and empowering its people. Some of the statistics for Cass Community Social Services:
- CCSS prepares and serves 1 million meals annually.
- 325 homeless men, women and children currently stay in one of CCSS’ shelters, transitional housing or permanent supportive housing programs.
- CCSS operates a weekly free medical clinic and a day program for 100 adults with developmental disabilities.
- 70 adults are currently employed in the agency’s Green Industries which marry jobs with sustainability.
Nominate your own Thanksgiving hero
To submit an entry visit “Thanksgiving Heroes” and create your submission. Submissions must be received by November 15, 2015. Finalists will be announced November 17, 2015, after which the public will have a chance to vote for their favorites through November 20, 2015.
- La Brea Bakery on Facebook
- La Brea Bakery on Instagram
- La Brea Bakery on Twitter
- La Brea Bakery on Pinterest
Share this Post